Day spas are becoming more and more popular. They provide an oasis in our buzzing world, where you can get away for a few hours or a day of relaxation, rejuvenation and beautification. If there isn’t a spa around, or if you’d rather enjoy the benefits in your own home, try this do-it-yourself routine, which will only take a couple of hours. Spend an evening or weekend afternoon pampering yourself and restoring your mental, physical and emotional energy.
This facial both nourishes and exfoliates your skin. Milk softens and cools the skin and loosens up pore-clogging particles. Hot steam opens your pores and the clay mask removes impurities. The moisturiser restores the lipid and moisture levels of the skin.
- Cleanse face and neck with to remove makeup and impurities.
- Apply several drops of almond or sesame oil on fingers and gently massage the face and neck. Repeat three times.
- Slowly bring half a cup of organic milk to a boil, add a few drops of rose water and beat until a thick layer of foam appears. Massage milk foam onto the face and neck. Repeat three times.
- Use a facial steamer for five minutes or until the skin perspires. Do this by holding your face over a bowel of hot steaming water, make a tent for yourself using a towel or sheet.
- Apply a thin layer of skin clay or mask of your choice to the face and neck. Leave on for three to five minutes or until the skin begins to feel tight.
- Remove clay with remaining organic milk and then rinse milk off with warm water. Use natural sponges for removal of clay.
- Apply a moisturiser to the face and neck.
after you have treated your face, it’s time to administer self-massage, using a warm oil (the warm oil massage can be applied every morning preceding your shower). For this spa treatment, extend the massage to make it a relaxing, luxurious experience. Massaging your whole body with oil feeds your skin and helps release toxins that accumulate in the body and skin over time. It also improves circulation, relaxes the mind and the body, and nourishes all the tissues and organs. For the home spa treatment, try a combination of almond oil with a few drops of Frankincense, of which the almond oil lubricates your skin and Frankincense essential oil calms your physiology.
Steps for self massage
- Fill a small plastic bottle with oil and a few drops of Frankincense essential oil and place it in a glass of hot water for a few minutes to heat.
- Apply a small amount of oil to the body starting with the scalp all the way down to you toes.
- Start massaging your scalp slowly with firm pressure. After two minutes, move down to your ears and face using small circles. (If you have just done a facial, skip the face)
- Then start with the left shoulder in circular motion. Follow with long strokes on the upper arm, circles on the elbow and long strokes on the forearm. Circle around the wrist and do long strokes on the hand. Repeat with the other arm.
- Use circular strokes on the chest and the stomach and upward strokes on your lower back.
- Continue on to the left leg, by doing circles on the joints and long strokes on the limbs. The feet should get special attention, which we will detail in the next section.
We use our feet all day, but they are often the most neglected parts of the body. Therefore, foot massage is a very important part too. A foot massage not only benefits the feet but revitalizes the whole body. It increases energy, balances emotions, and improves blood and lymph circulation. By massaging the nerve endings in your feet, you can release stress and relieve aches and pains.
- First wash your feet thoroughly with soap and warm water. Wipe your feet dry and sit in a comfortable position so you can easily reach your feet.
- Apply oil to one of your feet for lubrication.
- Start by gently rubbing the base of your first (little) toe.
- Continue at the base of the second toe.
- Next, apply slight pressure between the first and second toes.
- Then, rub between the third and forth toe.
- Next, massage, stretch and pull the big toe gently and rub each side of the nails.
- Finally, massage the ball of your foot in a circular motion, followed by circling around your ankle joint with both hands in a clockwise motion. This improves circulation and the energy level of the body. Repeat the same steps on your other foot. You can do this foot massage in the evening, a couple of times a week to give your tired feet a break.