- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 8 carrots, washed, scraped, and chopped
- 2 potatoes, washed, scraped, and chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup water
- Measure the oil into a skillet, and heat over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, and cook until the onion is golden brown.
- Add the vegetables and the seasoning.
- Add the water and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and place a cover on the pot, but leave it ajar, to allow steam to escape.
- Let the bredie simmer until the water has evaporated and the vegetables are soft. Remove from heat and mash.
- Serve immediately with a little butter stirred in.
Serves 8 to 10 as an accompaniment or 2 as a main course.